CTCL E-Newsletter | Virtual Days September 27-30

Posted by heo

See the Difference
On my first day of work for Lawrence University Admissions, I found myself at a CTCL fair. Dozens of 17-year-olds shouted questions about research opportunities, sustainable food sourcing, community action programs, and more.
I had earned a college degree from a very different type of school. Coming from a low-income community with little college-going culture, I am forever thankful that my undergraduate experience altered my life trajectory, but it was not until that first CTCL event that I realized the difference between my experience and a Colleges That Change Lives experience.
That day I learned I was a first-generation college graduate. I learned what “liberal arts” meant. I learned that I could have studied abroad, that Wellness & Career Services were free … that clubs were apparently fun and advised.
Since joining Lawrence’s community, my life has changed. No matter what I want to try, I am never told no. And I can’t think of a better way to change a life than by saying yes – even when an idea is silly, even if we sometimes fail.
At CTCL colleges and universities, faculty and staff are dedicated to saying “yes” to students. And all of our graduates are the better for it.
Gaelyn Rose
Associate Director of Admissions, Lawrence University
Incoming Director, Colleges That Change Lives Board
CTCL Virtual Days | September 27-30, 2020
We can’t travel to you this year, so we invite you to join us via Zoom to learn more about the Colleges That Change Lives difference. These sessions offer the same opportunities to listen to presenters, ask questions, and find the information you need to successfully navigate the college search—without any of the parking hassles.
Member School Presentations in September
Agnes Scott College * Allegheny College
Austin College * Bard College * Beloit College
Birmingham-Southern College
Centre College * Clark University
College of Wooster * Cornell College
Denison University * Earlham College
Eckerd College * The Evergreen State College
Goucher College * Guilford College
Hampshire College * Hendrix College
Hillsdale College * Hiram College
Hope College * Juniata College
Kalamazoo College * Knox College
Lawrence University * McDaniel College
Millsaps College * New College of Florida
Ohio Wesleyan University
Reed College *Rhodes College
Saint Mary’s College of California
Southwestern University * St. Olaf College
St. John’s College * University of Lynchburg
University of Puget Sound * Ursinus College
Wabash College * Whitman College
Willamette University
CTCL Virtual Days Featured Presentations
CTCL and the Liberal Arts September 27 & 28
Join Colleges That Change Lives’ executive board members to learn more about this distinctive group of liberal arts institutions. Colleges That Change Lives is a non-profit organization that advocates for the ideal of the student-centered college search. They will discuss CTCL’s history and its members’ approach to the college admission search. They will offer perspectives on the value of a liberal arts education as well as data beyond the typical rankings.
We will shed light on what test optional means and how it both changes and doesn’t change the way admissions counselors read applications.
What does it mean to study business at a liberal arts school? This session will incorporate a professor, alum, and/or student from our schools to assist in demonstrating why the pathways students take at a liberal arts school lead to a successful career in business across sectors.
Our session will help students understand what factors are important to consider when comparing colleges (for example, size, location, cost, available majors, etc.). Many students seem overwhelmed by the idea of the college search process and aren’t sure what criteria to use in deciding where to apply and eventually enroll. We will cover pros and cons of different options and provide some advice to students on creating their own personal priority lists of factors. We will also provide students guidance on how to gather the information they need about schools, given that in-person visits are now quite limited, or even impossible. We will share info about the types of online resources colleges are offering, give advice on what to look for on websites, what types of questions to ask, which people to talk to, etc.
A liberal arts education is often associated with thinking and observation rather than practice. Entrepreneurship, on the other hand, is almost always situated within the domain of business, giving it immediate hands-on significance. Come learn how The Center for Entrepreneurship in Liberal Education at Beloit (CELEB) is bridging the divide between entrepreneurship and liberal arts through a one-of-a-kind program that you won’t find at any other undergraduate school. We will also introduce you to some of the other innovative ways CTCL institutions are incorporating entrepreneurship into their own educational experience across different academic disciplines.
Acing the Interview September 29
Take a deep dive into the college interview to discover why interviews are an important part of the application process. Learn tips for communicating effectively and establish a mindset that will help you ace the interview. Join Milyon Trulove, VP and Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Reed College, for this 45-minute interactive workshop.
A great group of admission reps dedicated to recruiting international students, US students living abroad, and TCKs are ready to share information, data, and their perspectives on the experience of students from outside the US. They will address the admission process, testing options, financial aid for international students, and of course, the challenges of getting visas and getting to campuses in the US in a post-COVID-19 world. They will take questions from the participants. Students and counselors welcome!