Daily Archives: September 8, 2014
Posted by Peter MUIR
A local youth running athlete group organized a 17km charity run along the MTR Island Line, in order to promote a life with low carbon footprint. Participants started running from Heung Fa Chuen Station until Sheung Wan Station. Money raised from the event will be donated to the Clean Air Network in support of their work. Another example of a CAS / Community Engagement project.
Posted by Peter MUIR
Students in Years 7-12 are invited to apply for the position of newly created Community Engagement Captains. The Community Engagement (CE) Captains will consist of elected student members who will play a role in managing and developing Discovery College’s CE activities. This leadership opportunity will enable successful applicants to develop communication skills, skills in promotion and marketing, organisational skills, and foster information literacy and social capital.
The CE Captain’s role will include:
- Encourage and support student CE efforts
- Promote CE activities within the school
- Assist in developing and reviewing a DC CE plan
- Authorize proposals for student run CE events
- Approve student proposals for CE clubs in the school
- Liaise with Secondary leadership team about CE activities
- Communicate CE activities to parents and the broader community
- Prepare annual CE reports
- Contribute to a review of DC’s efforts in CE
- Where applicable, representing DC at external CE events
- Meeting fortnightly with the Community Engagement Coordinator
Successful applicants will have:
- Demonstrated development in each of the IB Learner profile attributes
- Be able to commit to attend fortnightly meetings
- A willingness to commit to Community Engagement
The Community Engagement Captains will be (maximum) two student representatives from each of Years 7-12. We are looking for a broad representation of the student body to become CE Captains: from those who are often centre-stage, to those who enjoy playing supporting roles.
To apply for this position, students will be required to give a brief summary of what Community Engagement means to them, and provide some examples of how you see Community Engagement evolving in DC. Deans, secondary leadership team and the Community Engagement coordinator will then select successful applicants. Students who do not currently hold leadership positions in the school are strongly encouraged to apply. Complete the application form below to apply.