Yes I Can!

Posted by neridakiprotich

The Power of Yet

Encouraging our children to have a growth mindset is one of the most important aspects of school. One of the most powerful words we can use in our conversations with children is the word ‘Yet’. It’s not that they can’t do something…it’s that they can’t do it yet!  Instead of focusing on what went wrong, we focus on the next steps they can take to improve their skills, knowledge or understandings.

“Mistakes don’t mean that I can’t do it, I just can’t do it YET.”

The Power of Yet song

The I Can’t Monster

As your children have begun their journey into primary school, an important aspect of their education is developing a Growth Mindset. It can be quite daunting for children to be faced with so many new challenges and experiences. One of the ways we are facing challenges in Year 1 is by introducing the ‘I Can’t’ Monster.

The I can’t monster comes to you

when something is tricky or hard to do.

So what can you do when he visits today?

Say “I can do it!” and chase him away.

Children have been able to identify times when their I Can’t Monster comes and they have to chase him away, such as swimming lessons, riding a bike, doing a hard puzzle or trying to do writing are just some of the times mentioned by children. When faced with challenges we encourage children to hear when they say “I can’t” or “It’s too hard” and instead to say “Yes I can”, “I will try my best”. We see a noticeable shift in the way children approach tasks and challenging experiences when they recognise their I Can’t Monster is around and needs to be chased away.

Please click on the photos to see when our I Can’t monsters come!