Chiang Mai, Thailand
San Ma Muong Village Tung Loi, Om Koi District, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
The No Boundaries 2019 trip to Thailand starts at Chiang Mai, a land of misty mountains and cheerful hill tribes. After visiting the local sights in Chiang Mai, the group leaves the next day for a 4 – hour drive to the district of Om Koi. After a beautiful 2-3 hour trek, the group will finally arrive at the village of San Ma Muong, where they will homestay for the next 4 days.
At the village, students will be working with their respective groups on a community engagement project aimed at supporting the village and helping them in their need for reliable, year-round access to water. During the stay, students will meet and interact with the local villagers, learning and experiencing their everyday life and means of livelihood. The DC No Boundaries group will also be actively engaging in activities such as trekking, traditional Thai cooking and traditional bamboo weaving!
Fly direct to Chiang Mai (Cathay Dragon). Bus for ground transport.
- Visit Chiang Mai’s sacred landmark, Doi Suthep
- Give back to the society by contributing to a community engagement project
- Try Bamboo Weaving and be creative
- Hike up to a traditional tribe village
- Challenge yourself at the team-building exercises
- Cook up a storm in the kitchen using traditional cooking methods
- Experience the traditional rural Thai community life
- Take a step back in time, away from the hustle bustle of city life, relax and connect with nature.
Requirements / Expectations:
This experience is suited to students who:
- Have a spirit of adventure
- Are keen to develop their understanding of life in rural Thailand
- Are keen to work on a community project addressing an identified need and aiming to improve living standards
- Enjoy the outdoors
- Have a basic level of fitness
- Can cope with basic accommodation amenities
- Are willing to get their hands (and clothes) dirty
- Enjoy Thai cuisine