Luang Prabang, Ban Houay On, Laos
Ban Houay On village, on the outskirts of Luang Prabang, Laos.
The ancient town of Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Laos. It is located 700 metres above sea level in northern Laos and is encompassed by mountains at the confluence of the Nam Khan and Mekong Rivers.
Away from hectic city life, the No Boundaries team will learn about the ethnic minority communities of Laos and assist in the construction of a large Eco-dormitory utilising traditional adobe construction methods.
During their home-stay in a traditional rural village, students will be working under the supervision of local experts and guides, immersing themselves in everyday village life. There will also be lots of opportunities to participate in range if indigenous activities such as harvesting with the farmers,, bamboo weaving, gardening, cooking and much more.
Students will also have the opportunity to visit the tranquil waterfall nearby and spend some time taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful UNESCO protected town of Luang Prabang.
- Build a specially designed Teachers’ dormitory in the local village
- Experience first hand the living conditions of a minority community in Northern Laos
- Hike to Kuang Si waterfall for a refreshing swim
- Enjoy a boat ride on the Mekong River
- Fun and games at a night bonfire
- Attend a traditional Baci ceremony
- Explore the Night market
- Visit world heritage sites in Luang Prabang
Requirements / Expectations:
This experience is suited to students who:
- Eager to contribute towards environmental conservation and passionate about giving back to the society.
- Are willing to get their hands (and clothes) dirty
- Have a basic fitness level and are not afraid of manual labour
- Want to reconnect with their spirit of adventure
- Aspire to learn and help contribute positively towards solving the issues faced by the villagers
- Enjoy the outdoors and not afraid of the sun.
- Is not afraid to survive with basic amenities provided during Laos homestay
- Want to tickle their taste-buds exploring the Laotian cuisine