How do I Find a flat
Finding a flat in Hong Kong is done through property agents. Agents do not have access to ALL listings, so it is some times advisable to contact multiple agents to have a good range of options available to you.
Here are a few pointers for your apartment search:
- Set your price expectation and stick to it. Many agents will start to show you apartments below your price range, you should insist on staying within your budget.
- Use one of the agents we’ve identified below as they’ve been used before by other staff who have had positive experiences.
- Ask if the management fee is included in the monthly rental fee, it should be.
- Usually there is room for a little negotiation on the rental price, but generally not a lot.
- The property agent should be able to help you to set up your utilities – gas, water, electric.
- Leases are generally for 24 months with an opt out after 14 months giving a two month notice period.
- There is generally a two month deposit requirement plus 1/2 a month commission to the rental agent.
- Your signed lease can be submitted to HR in order to receive a tax credit.
In Hong Kong you are usually required to give two month’s deposit and one month’s rent at the signing of the rental agreement.
Below is a list of property agents in Discovery Bay. You can find other agents online at: blog.esf.edu.hk/where-to-live/property-agents/
|Headland Homes||2987 2088||headlandhomes.hk|
|Centaline Property Agency||2987 8484||statelyhome.com.hk/en/|
|Century 21 Newcourt Realty||2987 9729||century21-hk.com/eng/|
|Land Master Property||2987 6238||landmasterdb.com/|
|Midland Realty||2987 2888||midland.com.hk|
|Kingsland Properties||2987 2987||29872987.com|
|APP Mobility – Relocation Agents, Jacqueline Tilberis||2281 7800||appmobility.com|
A couple of other websites where you can search for apartments online are:
ESF has a nice blog that provides a lot of great information about moving to Hong Kong:
Flats for rent
Stay tuned for more staff information.